The vegetable oils that you use should either be virgin or cold pressed. Filtration and higher temperature extraction could degrade the vegetable oil. It is also preferable to choose a vegetable oil that is farmed organically. Heavy metals and chemicals used such as pesticide tend to stick to fats.
A vegetable oil keeps its beneficial properties for 1-2 years depending on its composition. After this time, it will lose its properties gradually and in some cases, turn rancid. To keep your vegetable oil in best condition, keep it away from heat, light and air.
Even though vegetable oils are often used as a "carrier" for active ingredients such as absolute, they contain genuine skin care properties of their own, and penetrate the dermis and epidermis deeper than commercial skin products. In general, they are soothing, softening, toning and restorative for the skin. They protect the skin by reconstructing its protective lipid film, which prevents dehydration while allowing skin to breathe. This film, when neglected suffers from dryness, pollution and other environmental damages.
Did you know some vegetable oil contains natural sunscreen as well, though they generally are SPF 5. Remember that the skin is also nourished from inside, so consuming pure, high quality vegetable will help maintain your skin as well.
Classic Vegetable Oils to Include in Your Skincare Regime
- Apricot kernel oil - Regenerating, nourishing and contains a natural sunscreen. Very easily absorbed by all skin types without leaving a greasy film.
- Argan oil - Healing, protective, softening and makes the skin and hair more supple. Excellent for troubled skin. High in vitamin E and is rapidly absorbed.
- Avocado oil - Hydrating, protective and toning. This is a very rich and thick oil, thus not recommended for oily skin.
- Hazelnut oil - Purifying, astringent and helps control the production of sebum. Contains vitamin A and E, and is very well absorbed by the skin.
- Jojoba oil - Very good at controlling the production of sebum, calming, softening, anti-inflammatory and contains a natural sunscreen. Ideal for all skin types as the composition is very close to that of the human sebum.
- Olive oil - Soothing, softening and nourishing. The only type of olive oil that has genuine beauty properties are in shades of light green and usually extra virgin. Note however that olive oil is absorbed moderately by the skin.
- Sweet almond oil - Soothing, toning and softening. Excellent for dry, irritated and sensitive skin. Ideal base for massage oil. Penetrates the skin moderately so use sparsely.